.... or rather the lack of me learning French that is really starting to annoy me. After coming back from an awesome Quebec Regional conference at the end of September I found that representing myself as a leader of this national organization felt humiliating at times given my inability to speak the French language.
All of my teammates had at least a decent understanding - then there is me - stereotypical isolated student from Alberta. It is at home in Calgary where you hardly notice it for you feel quite far from the East and French - you just know that Canada is a bilingual nation and you accept it just as that. In my time as a student I just took other paths that (at that time) happily avoided French. In junior high I took Drama and Art instead of French, then when it got to high school French didn't seem like such a good idea given that I never really took it before.
I think the school system has changed now to make French compulsory - more than the four elementary years that I received. But now I am thinking that bilingual school is a must if I had to do it all over again.
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I've had this revelation before ... yep... just checked the archives, I definitely felt this way after being in Paris :P (Link to previous post)
Post a Comment